A Universal Travel Pass is a QR code-based electronic pass that allows fully vaccinated people to travel by public transportation and gain access to public places such as airports, offices, railway stations, malls, and so on. It was first introduced by the Maharashtra State Disaster Management Authority in collaboration with the Indian Railways to allow people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to travel easily in Mumbai’s local trains, metros, and monorails. The pass, however, was recently adopted by the Central Government for all Indian citizens.
In Maharashtra, the Universal Travel Pass is issued in five degrees based on the state government’s COVID unlock levels. While the Degree 5 pass has no travel restrictions, Degree 1 pass holders can travel during the Maharashtra government’s level 1 unlock plan. Furthermore, the pass is divided into medical, utility, and education categories for people who work in essential services. Similarly, people from outside Maharashtra are assigned a travel category level on their Universal Travel Pass, with level 5 allowing unrestricted travel. However, before visiting another city in India, ensure that you have domestic travel insurance to protect yourself financially in the event of an unforeseen event. Similarly, purchase an international travel insurance policy to ensure that you can travel abroad without financial stress in the event of an unforeseen event.
The objective of a Universal Travel Pass?
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, it allows people to travel across the country.
- It will ensure that medical and educational facilities are fully operational and accessible to everyone.
- It makes traveling safer and more convenient by using QR code-based e-passes.
- It will eliminate the need for physical verification to identify fully vaccinated individuals.
- It will prevent people from traveling with fake IDs during COVID-19 restrictions.
- People will be able to travel from trains to rickshaws thanks to it.
- It will also make interstate travel more convenient.
Who is Eligible to Apply for the Universal Travel Pass in India?
Any Indian citizen who has received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine can apply for the Universal Travel Pass. This pass, however, is only available to adults; children are not eligible for it. Furthermore, companies in the medical, utility and educational sectors can apply for this pass for their fully vaccinated employees. A person can apply for a Universal Travel Pass at least 14 days after receiving the second dose of his or her COVID-19 vaccine. If a person applies for the pass before the 14-day period has expired after receiving the second jab, they will receive the pass once the 14-day period has expired.
How Do I Apply for an Online Universal Travel Pass?
Follow the steps below to apply for a Universal Travel Pass online:
- Go to epassmsdma.mahait.com
- Under the ‘Citizen’ category, select ‘Universal Pass for Double Vaccinated Citizens.’
- Enter the mobile number that was used during the CoWIN registration process.
- Enter the OTP that was sent to your mobile phone.
- The applicant’s and his/her beneficiaries’ COVID-19 vaccination records will be displayed.
- Select the ‘Generate Pass’ option.
- On the pass, the applicant’s information will be displayed, along with a space for him or her to upload a photo.
- Upload a photo that is less than 3 MB in size and choose the declaration
- To upload your image, click the ‘Apply‘ button.
- Within 48 hours, the applicant will receive an SMS with a link to download the Universal Travel Pass on their mobile phone.
- Once the link is received, save the pass to your phone.